When was the last time you connected with yourself?
Do you truly know yourself on a deep and soulful level?
Having a connection with our self is one if the most important things in life. Afterall, if we don’t know, like and trust our self, how can we expect anyone else to. Having a deep connection with our self allows us to build a more meaningful and fulfilling life, a life that we are blessed to live.
For me, self-connection is that electrifying feeling of understanding my body, physically, mentally and spiritually. Having a sense of comfortability deep within. Self-Connection, I could easily describe as, that feeling of coming home.
It hasn’t always been so easy to describe how self-connection feels for me.
I found, for me, to really grasp and get a deep knowing for self-connection, I needed to deep dive into what self-disconnection feels like?
- Low self-worth/love/confidence
- A disconnection from the environment and others around me
- Persistent hurtful thoughts about myself and others
- ARRGGHHHHH!!!! Disconnection, so toxic
I invite you now, to grab a pen and your journal and free-write for 5-10 minutes on how self-disconnection makes you feel.
When you have finished writing, do a quick scan of your body and notice any tension that you may be holding on to. Take a deep, slow breath in to any tense areas, hold for 4 seconds and exhale slowly. Repeat this for as long as you need.
Now that we have discovered how self-disconnection feels for you, lets dive into how we can practice deep, soulful self-connection daily.
- Connect with your feelings – Each morning you may like to do a quick check in. How am I feeling? What am I feeling? If any tension or negativity is surrounding you, grab your journal and free-write for 5 minutes or gently close your eyes, sit in stillness and scan your body, breathing into any tension or discomfort. Swapping our self-talk is also a handy tool, simply writing out the negative thought and re-framing it into a more positive, soul energising thought and repeating it several times and alleviate the heaviness of self-disconnection
- Practice Acceptance – This beauty is essential! Don’t judge or be critical with yourself. You are an amazing being and all parts of you are just as amazing. Don’t push your feelings down, allow them to do what they need to and acknowledge them flowing through your body. Practice some gentle stretches, some intuitive dance moves or if you feel up to it, do a resistance or HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout. Moving your body will allow you to move that energy baby!!
- Self-Compassion – Just love on yourself and be kind. What ever you may be feeling, know that it’s okay. It will pass and you will be fine. Just take things one step at a time and allow yourself some gentle kindness. Consider how you would speak to your friend if she was feeling the way you are. You wouldn’t criticise or pull her down because she was experiencing certain feelings or self-disconnection, would you?
Do you have any tips on bringing soulful self-connection into your life daily? I’d love for you to share them in the comments below.